Tuesday, December 1, 2015

11/30/15



Bill ready for surgery

Wes took this picture right before we went to the waiting room.


This morning I got up at 2:30 and got ready so Bill could have the last hour in the bathroom.  Wes and Gayla picked us up in their van and Wes drove to Detroit.  We left at 4 a.m. so not much traffic at that time.  We got to the hospital at 5:30 so were plenty early as Bill didn't have to be there till 6:30.  We went to admitting and Bill signed in.  Then we went to the surgical floor and they took Bill and got him ready for surgery.  The marked his right leg so they would get the right one.  The anesthesiologist came in and talked to us and asked me if I needed anything.  I told him no and that I had prayed and was trusting God.  He said he was with me on that.  He was very nice.  While we waited we went to the cafeteria and had breakfast.  Then we walked through the store.  After that we went back up to the 4th floor to wait.  I asked the guy behind the desk if the board was right because it didn't show Bill in surgery.  He told me the Dr. had been trying to find me because they couldn't start the surgery because of a hole in the table.  The instruments weren't sterile anymore so they couldn't proceed till they were sterilized.  I assume it was a hole in the paper covering the table but really don't know details.  We went back to see him and he told us they were going to do it in 3 hrs.  Then the lady behind the desk said it would be 4 hours.  We left to go to lunch because Bill wanted to rest.  Right when we pulled in the restaurant parking lot, my phone rang.  It was the hospital saying they were canceling the surgery until tomorrow.  Bummer!  We were all prepared and now had to come back the next day.  Poor Bill.  We didn't eat but headed back to the hospital to give Bill back his phone and wallet.  The hospital said they would pay for a hotel room for me, but I didn't have a car and didn't want to be walking in downtown Detroit at night by myself.  We headed for home, stopping at Cracker Barrel to eat in Flint.  I had a chicken salad sandwich, cole slaw and beef noodle soup.  Very good.  Came home and got everything ready for care group for tomorrow night as I have to be up by 3:45 in the morning and don't know how much time I will have when I get home from Detroit.  Watched a movie.  Missing my movie buddy!

No comments: